When starting out first decide what shape you would like to create. Chinese paper lanterns come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You can make it round, polygonal, or cylindrical.
1. First, you will need a rectangular piece of pretty paper. Fold it in half the long way.
2. Next, make about a dozen evenly spaced cuts along the fold lines, but make sure that you leave about an inch of space about an inch of space from the inch from the edge of the paper; do not cut too close to the edge of the paper.
3. Unfold your paper. Now put the short edges of the paper together and secure with glue.
4. Finally, cut a strip of paper about six inches long and ½ inch long and glue this strip of paper across one end to make a handle.
5. Make multiple lanterns and string across the room to make a garland.
Here’s how to make a round shaped paper lantern.
2. Take your paper and cut out strips long enough to cover the balloon.
3. Take the strips and dip them in a water and flour mixture and stick them to the balloon; cover the balloon completely.
4. Pop the balloon and remove any pieces left behind.
5. Cut an opening on the top of the balloon and put a string on top to hang it.
6. Decorate as you wish.
7. Add an optional battery powered candle inside of the lantern.
You may want to decorate your lanterns, rather than buying decorative paper. This is a fun way to add your own look to your lanterns. You might like to use rubber stamps or glitter. You may want to add paper cutouts or draw patterns when making paper lanterns. Whatever you decide, adding your own touches to your paper lanterns will make them much more attractive.
You can make these lanterns for almost any occasion. Learning how to make paper lanterns is easy and fun, and they’re a great way to decorate a home. A well designed and decorated lantern can really make the difference in a room that seems a little blah.
If you are excited about how to make paper lanterns but you’d like to make something a little more complicated than the simple lantern examples above, you can find instructions for making paper lanterns online, including more complicated lanterns with video instructions. There are practically no limits to the paper lanterns you can make if you are willing to do a little research and put in a little effort.